Friday 6 March 2009

Glasses half empty!

I am frequently branded as a pessimist. I don't mind really as I don't really care too much what people think of me. I am pretty self contained and self sufficient in many ways and also content with my own company; at least i don't let me down, and that is about the only thing that you can rely on most others to do for you.
The whole thing with glasses being half full or half empty strikes me as a nonsense anyway. In my experience, a glass begins in a full state and gradually gets less and less full. Only when empty does it get filled again, unless you have a cheapskate friend who serves up half glasses. To me - half a glass is a glass halfway to being empty!
Anyhow - I spent this morning in the greenhouse, partly sorting it but also planting the first of the seeds. Now that to me is an act of pure optimism. There was a frost this morning and I am planting seeds in the hope that they will germinate and that i will be able to nurture the seedlings until they reach maturity. Pat experience tells me that is may or may not happen, and yet every year I go through the same procedures with varying degrees of success. That is optimism to me, even though I know that the odds are stacked against me I persevere.
Come the summer I may reap the benefits of these activities, but if not, then I will only have been let down by chance and that is to be expected.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a firm believer that while one might have a tendency to optimism or pessimism, at the end of the day we all have the ability to make choices that influence our lives. In small ways and in larger ways. Unless one is a fatalist (as many religions promote), there is always an opportunity to make changes and have some influence on outcomes. And the choice not to change or act is still a choice. You choose to plant seeds in the hope of life blooming, all the while knowing that there is no guarantee. Celebrate not only the potential harvest, but the ability to choose and plant...no matter what the outcome.

Paul said...

Choices yes but not always freedom to make them. Some choices demand an ability to be totally selfish. It is not always right to choose what is best for oneself.
I look forward to an abundance of Morning Glory but know that it lies in the lap of the weather.
Thanks for commenting - whoever you may be :-)