Tuesday 15 May 2007

The eyes have it




I just had a visit from my friend Anne. That always helps to brighten my day.
We were talking about connections and the importance of eye contact and listening to people. Eyes are supposed to be the windows of the soul, whatever that may be. They certainly do convey a great deal to others. This seems to be a bit of an "eye" week as it happens. Yesterday, with my student, we were looking at the eye in terms of its anatomy and physiology, and today I have become aware once more that my glasses need replacing, no doubt at huge cost.

Thinking of the people that I feel closest to, they are both people with whom I made eye contact with easily. In both cases there was no discomfort and no looking away. It seems natural and is a communication within itself. Sometimes there was no need for a conversation, the link was almost telepathic. Once that link is established it is tough one to break, tough because the bond is rare and tough because it is precious.

No comments: