Tuesday 22 May 2007

Memories

Writing on this blog is rather like talking to myself, but I am not aware of doing that out loud just yet. I have had a couple of comments made and they have been pleasant and supportive. Apart from that though, it does feel strange to think that these words are simply being stored on some remote hard drive, probably in a warehouse in Seattle and that basically, no-one, including the author gives a toss one way or another.

I was scouring the internet news this morning - well glancing at it actually. and found nothing noteworthy, so i decided to tidy a desk drawer in the hope that I would find the device that I have been looking for for the last couple of days. I found it, in a file with a few photographs. One of which was of someone wearing a cowboy hat. I was not there when the photo was taken but I do remember seeing it for the first time and it took me by surprise as I thought that I had put away all things relating to this person. I wanted to tear it up and say - "There - that's it." but of course I couldn't do that. Just like I cannot throw away anything that relates to that person. I have all the photographs filed away and even these I secreted lovingly inside a Terry Pratchett book, knowing that no-one else is likely to open it.

Sorting drawers has its dangers. It's a little like going for a medical examination - you never know what is going to turn up and there are some things that you may not want to find. An acquaintance of mine went to the doctor a week or so ago with pains in his legs. it turns out that he has a large tumour on his spine and since then he has also suffered a heart attack - he is 37. It doesn't seem fair that one so young should have to face that, but I suppose that there is a randomness to it all that makes outcomes and futures so hard to predict.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have thrown nothing away either. I don't believe that the past is independent of the future...or vice versa. I am sorry about your friend. A reminder that we must all embrace life with energy and joy. It slips away to quickly.