Thursday 31 May 2007

Primary school


Where was I? Oh yes Tudor Grange - a school for handicapped children - It said so on the gate. I believe that we were all physically handicapped in some way, though I had no yardsticks for measuring any other sort. My contact with human beings had been seriously limited up until then. Mostly I knew nurses, doctors and other people like me.

Another Tudor grange memory occurred to me just now. We were assembled in the dining room one day, and the curtains drawn. This room was a miniature version of the dining hall at Hogwarts academy and on this occasion, all seats were arranged facing a large white screen. In the centre of the floor was a movie projector. I had never seen one before. Much excitement ensued and then the lights went off and the film began. They showed us "The War of The Worlds" , which was rated as an adults only movie.

I remember being scared witless by the martian invasion and had nightmares about it for weeks afterwards. i wonder how many others experienced that kind of terror for the first time that day? It didn't put me off however and to this day I love sci fi and horror films.

By the time I was nine, I was able to dispense with the leather support frame and was declared fit to join the world of the normal. I packed my bag for the last time and bade farewell to Tudor Grange forever.

Going home was difficult - again - I felt that I did not belong. I had to share a room with my younger brother and the house was unheated and poorly endowed with facilities. Everone there was more or less a stranger to me and acclimatisation must have taken a while.

I was enrolled in the village primary school and a new phase of my life was about to start.

First day at Primary school was also the first day for a new headmaster. Strict discipline was a novelty for me. It had never been necessary before, but in this motley crew of children, aged from 7 to 11, there were plenty who really needed a firm hand. With Mr Webb they got it. Having been used to a kindly old lady teacher, some were under the impression that they could still do just as they wanted. As he entered the playground to assess the assembled throng, we all became aware that this was not someone to cross. The rabble was soon confronted and the biggest and toughest singled out for a proper dressing down. He also took this opportunity to show us his cane; though I don't think he ever used it. A cowed and silent line entered the single classroom and sat exactly where we were told to.

The classroom was arranged with the teacher's desk halfway down the room, next to the old coke burner, and then I think, six tables forming groups on the basis of age and ability. Oddly I was placed at the far right of the room with the high ability kids, and we were expected to work harder and achieve more than the others, though we were taught as a class.

I loved to write creatively, and maths I took to readily. Mr Webb would tell stories about his time as a fighter pilot in the war and tales of his doings in his previous schools. His son is the same age as myself and he was in the same class and on the same table. We were to become friends over the next few years and we still exchange cards at Christmas.

I became aware of the complexities of real life in a community where there is diversity and realised that I was no longer protected by anyone. I had to stand up for myself if I wanted to be normal. I am sure that the others had been briefed as to my background and condition, and so by and large I was left alone. Of course it may have been my white spindly legs and skeletal torso that gave the game away.

My favourite activity was always the Nature Walks, where we would wander the fields or the river banks learning the names of native plants and animals. That has stayed with me and I still recall all the names of the wildlife here. I can still smell the smells of the river and of the spring and summer flowers. The new mown hay and the smells of autumn leaves as well as the less pleasant rural smells still stay with me.

Primary school was a big step in my development and for the first time in my life I felt a part of a group.

No comments: