Wednesday 2 May 2007

Ties that bind

Here we go again - another beautifully sunny day without a cloud in the sky. We really could use some rain here, before the beaurocrats begin to impose water restrictions.

I decided this morning, while attending to my morning routine and reading Jeremy Clarkson in the most appropriate place, that writing and urinating can be compared. When out for a drink or two on a friday night, it is quite possible to go for hours without going for a pee. However, once you do go, that is it. From that point on it just seems to flow - the seal is broken and there is no stopping it. So it is with writing. I haven't written for months or even years, yet the other day I came across this site and I broke the seal. Now, for better or for worse I seem to be flowing freely again. No doubt I'll dry up shortly but for now I am back.

I was reading this morning - no not in Jeremy CLarkson, that Malasia have declared neckties to be a health hazard. Now excuse me, but this is not news. I have always considered them to be so. In my job, the wearing of a tie was seen as vital. At least it was for men. I could never really understand why women should not have been placed under the same rule; however, the tie was the statement that you were at work and that you were in harness. Remove it at your peril.
Of course all my colleagues wore ties and some liked to sport a vast array of styles and colours, almost relishing the garments. One dear friend, routinely wore bowties, and not the clip on sort either, but I digress. There were those that wore just one, and I came close to that category.

Now apart from the psychological effect of wearing this symbol of slavery, the tie is not something that one washes on a day to day basis, and to make matters worse, it is the first landing place for dribble, nose drops, and most unmentionables that descend from facial cavities. Ties collect organic material like Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I have seen ties that could be stood up in a corner. They are breeding grounds for new life forms and sites of micro-evolution and yet they are dangled in front of all that we meet. For those who work closely with people, doctors, teachers etc, they are perfect ways of spreading diseases that we have yet to discover, and yet someone somewhere still thinks that they are a good idea.

Well done Malasia for raising this issue again, albeit 20 years later than the UK. Maybe their scientists could find a way of resealing the bladder sphyncter after that first visit to the gents.

If my reader is there - good morning.

No comments: